From:
Chuck Bolz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:27:29 -0800

Two weeks ago I asked for info on canola oil.  I received a number of
interesting replies - thanks to all!  The replies convinced me to use less
canola oil and more olive oil!  Summary below.

Now, I'd like to start another controversy.  Many celiacs will consume white
vinegar on the basis that the distilling process destroys all traces of
gluten.  But other celiacs avoid it like the plague.  Does anybody know of
research on this?  I personally use only cider vinegar at home, but will use
vinegar-and-oil salad dressing at relatives and restaurants.

"If you were to see a canola seed beside a wheat kernel you would
understand how there could be no contamination. The canola seed is very
small in comparison to the wheat kernel and is easily separated should
there be any intermingling. It is more likely that there is canola
contamination in the wheat fields than there is wheat contamination in
canola fields. I  don't know why people continually "pick on" canola. It
is a perfectly respectable product."

"I believe the problem some people have is that flaxseed can cause diarrhea
which can be confused as a Celiac reaction."

"I can't explain this but I use 100% expeller pressed Canola oil and have no
problems.  (Hain/Hollywood) If I use other brands, I have reactions.
(Although I have not used them all) I don't understand this...I just accept
it.  "

"I use nothing but canola oil and have no problems.  It is my personal view
that many celiacs have allergies and intolerances to foods that they prefer
to ignore and to blame all of their symptoms on cd."

 "According to one reference I have(The Laws of Pesach, A Digest by Rabbi
Avroham Blumendrantz, 1998) "Wheat fields are left to "rest" by planting
rapeseed plants in their place every so often.  We are told that there
is the possibility of 1 kernel of wheat to be found in 5000 rapeseeds."
The bottom line according to Rabbi Blumencrantz is that canola oil is
not permitted for Pesach."

"Some of us don't absorb fats right.  It doesn't seem to matter what the
fat is.  Cleans my clock every time."

"I'm confused about the inclusion of canola oil into supposedly
gluten-free foods when some celiacs react (as I do) to the canola oil
since it's made from rapeseed which is alternatively grown in fields
where wheat is grown.  There are a few lucky ones who don't react, but
shouldn't gluten-free be exactly that, gluten-free?"

"The CSA guide states that it does not recommend use of canola oil for
celiacs until futher research is done.  I have read in many places that it
can cause diahhrea in some celiacs.  I have also seen the connection to
growing the rapeseed along with wheat or in rotation many times also.  For
those reasons, I stay away from it as I don't want to take a chance on
anything controversial as my stomach is never very well.  There are so many
other oils available that I don't feel any need to purchase canola oil."

Chuck Bolz