From:
"J. Rackley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 01:02:41 -0700

Thank you all for your responses to my query regarding GF airline eating
for my husband, who is now flying frequently between Seattle and
California.

Some people gave coping methods, others provided advice on specific
airlines.  I have summarized the information below.

WAYS OF DEALING WITH AIRLINE MEALS

FRUIT PLATE.  A number of people said that the safest bet was a fruit
plate.  Jane and Vicki suggested supplementing it with your own rice
cakes, crackers, popcorn, or GF bagels.  Lynda commented, "If a carrier
does not have a GF meal, I order the fruit plate.  Granted it comes with
a bun, but fruit is fruit and there is not much they can do to mess it
up." (Thanks, Lisa, Jane, Vicki, Janet, Valerie, and Lynda)

BRING FOOD FROM HOME.  Another safe option is to bring your own food.
Anne said, "Life is so much simpler if I can eat what I want, when I want.
I usually carry tortillas, or tortilla chips, homemade breads, hunks of
cheese, fresh fruit, cut up if messy, fresh vegetable cut up, slabs of
chicken or roast, chocolate candy,  raisins, homemade cookies, GF yogurts,
dried apricots;  I truly look like a bag lady, but he wouldn't, if he had
a special bag or backpack.  You could even fix a whole chicken and put
individual portions in the freezer in a baggie."  (Thanks, Lisa, Jane,
Anne, and Lynda)

ORDER FOOD "TO GO":  John H. suggested "that you call around to
different stores and delis and catering outfits and find which one can
provide a box meal.  Figure out arrangements for pick-up or delivery to
work place, airport, home.  Include meal on the expense account.  Do the
same at the usual destinations for the return flight."

CONFIRM SPECIAL MEALS IN ADVANCE.  Jane and Lynda reminded us to confirm
24 hours in advance if ordering a special meal (including fruit plate)
to ensure it is on board.  Lynda said, "I also confirm with each carrier
24 hours in advance of each flight whether there is a meal service, and
what meal they have listed.  I generally make them tell me the code -
GFML is the code for all carriers for a Gluten Free Meal, I do not
volunteer the information."

TRY DIABETIC MEALS.  Pat suggested trying the diabetic meals, since they
are generally low in carbohydrates.  He says these meals "usually consist
of a grilled or poached meat (often it's chicken) without any
flour-thickened sauce (because of the carbs), steamed vegetables, and
maybe rice or potato (generally no pasta because it's way too high in
carbs).  For dessert you usually get fruit salad."  He used this strategy
on Air Canada before they offered GF meals.

SPECIFIC AIRLINES (Alphabetically)

AIR CANADA:  Lynda says that Air Canada has "awesome meals - best airline
food.  They truly care what they serve their customers, and have gone out
of their way when my flights have been delayed and I end up on a different
flight to provide me with a meal.  Not one bad meal in my 4 years."  I
would have to agree there.  I flew them once, and asked if they could
accommodate my allergies to wheat, rice, dairy, and eggs.  They asked
what I could eat, and offered me sliced steak, fruit, and some other
dishes.  When I got on the plane, I had exactly what I had ordered.
Wonderful meals!

AMERICA WEST:  On America West, Lynda said to "order a fruit plate
- there is no GFML."

AMERICAN:  Anne said that American is pretty good (although she brings
a snack anyway).  She says, "Each time on AA it is a chicken breast,
something like black bean salsa, and a rice cake.  Quite okay, and I
save my snack."  Laura also recently flew American.  She says, "The
breakfast was pretty weak (fruit and a stale rice cake with jam), but
the dinner I got on the return was quite good - a chicken breast with
herb seasoning along with veggies and rice; a salad (no dressing);
fresh fruit; and two rice cakes with jam and a small jar of honey."
Lynda, on the other hand, had a terrible experience with American.
She reports, "After ordering a GFML (gluten free meal) I was hospitalized
with severe food poisoning from the chicken in their meal."  She won't
fly American any longer.

CANADIAN AIRLINES:  Lynda said that Canadian Airlines has "Gluten Free
meals that are good, but there are problems having them actually show
up on the plane."

DELTA:  Lynda says that Delta "has very good meals with some variety -
best snack meals - they serve puffy rice crackers with turkey and
tomatoes between."  Lauren C. agreed, saying, "Delta has a standard
GF meal which includes 2 rice cakes with turkey and a slice of cheese,
and baked corn chips.  Not fancy but it will do."

NORTHWEST:  Vicki reminded us that many airlines, including Northwest,
advertise GF meals when they mean wheat-free meals.  Lynda concurred, and
said, "Northwest (or Northworst you decide..) again, I will not get on
their planes anymore - one hospitalization and their GFML (when I did give
them a try again) was disgusting."

SOUTHWEST:  Lisa commented that Southwest offers as little food as
possible, GF or not.  Anne agreed, saying she always brown-bags it
on Southwest.

UNITED:  Bob L. commented that he flies United, and their GF meal is
okay, but nonvaried.  He says, "They have one entree which is what
you get each time you order the special. It consists of chicken breast
with saffron sauce, potatoes, a vegetable, salad, and canned pears for
dessert. It comes with a two-pack of rice cakes. Snacks are quite
imaginative. Generally, in first class with a choice of two or three
entrees it is possible to get a gluten-free meal from the menu. No rice
cakes however.  It's not great, but the special is gluten-free."

Lynda checked with the caterer, and found that "Dobbs Catering who does
the meals for United once told me that they serve about 10 GFML meals
on any given day for all United flights - that is why most carriers do
not bother to have them."  She also tells about her GF experiences with
United. "Their meal is saffron chicken - this meal is being served to me
as the GFML on all lunch and dinner flights due to the number of times I
got the wrong meal (pasta). The CEO of United, the caterer, and I
had some correspondence and that was the result.  United now confirms
all meals for me with each of their kitchens.  I now have had this meal
about 4 times a month for 3 years, which I do not mind, as I know it's
contents.  It arrives frozen to the flight kitchen, so the kitchen
cannot do any substitutions.  United/Air Canada is my frequently flyer
program of choice, and after logging 100,000 miles a year with them and
Air Canada, the minimum they can do is feed me the correct meal, that is
why I did not just stop flying them like American and Northwest."

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

I hope this information also helps other frequent flyers or other travelers.

Jenny Rackley
Woodinville, WA