Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:11:01 +0200
From:
Sander Graswinckel <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All,

I asked if anyone was eating oats although there's still a
lot of debate on this subject. I have done some reading and
the study done in Finland seems very good to me. But there
is one concern I have and that is, does the fact that there
is no visible damage to the villi mean that the chance for
lymphoma isn't elevated? I'm not convinced yet but I think
the research is still running so maybe there's more to come.

I agree that oats should not be included in the celiac diet
yet.

Now the responses I got:

(as I expected) the responses ranged from "NO WAY" to "I
have no problem with oats".

The numbers (only official celiacs):

I'm officially diagnosed and I can have oats without
problem: 4
I'm officially diagnosed and I got sick from oats: 2

Of course this is not the right way to find out whether we
should eat oats or not. I was just curious.

A lot of people told me they got very sick after eating
oats, but also many others that it wasn't a problem for
them. The problem is that they weren't officially diagnosed
(or didn't tell me). They might have a wheat allergy and
therefore be able to eat oats/barley/rye. Actually
(according to what I've read) having a immediate violent
reaction is not what you would expect from a "real" gluten
reaction. People told me they reacted to oats more violently
than to wheat. This would centainly suggest some kind of
allergic reaction.

The Finnish study suggest that celiacs do not get a reaction
from eating PURE OATS. So the people who have a reaction
might just react to the amount of wheat that is present in
(almost?) all the regular oats brands or have an allergic
reaction.

The real problem is that you don't know what will happen on
the long term. You might have an increased risk for cancer
even if you don't feel any reaction. I think a large group
of celiacs eating oats would have to be followed for a very
long time before you can say anything about that. But maybe
there's another way to find this out, I don't know.

I'm not trying oats just yet. I'll wait for further
research. And I'll do some more reading on this. I'm a
student so I'll "dive" into the university library some day.

I hope that we will be able to eat oats some day. This would
really be nice.

Sander