From:
James Doubravsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:17:33 -0700

Thanks to all who responded.
    In addition to those responses below there were 2 that recommended wall
Mart and 1 suggested any generic brand because there labels are more
complete, plus one mentioned that corn in a binder could be a problem for
those who have a problem with corn.
    I think that this pretty well covers it. It seems rediculas that we
should have a problem with something as simple as aspirin. This helped me,
and I hope it will help someone else.
Clan Thompson Pocket Guide To Gluten Free Pharmaceutical Products lists
Bufferin as being gluten free.  Their phone number is 1-800-468-7746, if
you'd like to call them.
In addition, Ecotrin Enteric Coated Aspirin is listed as gluten free. Their
phone number is 1-800-245-1040.
All forms of Excedrin are also listed as gluten free.  The company phone
number is the same as for Bufferin.
I confirmed all of these by phone while doing the research for our book.
Hope it helps.
Regards,
Lani K. Thompson
Stoneham, ME
You might try............Aspirin Enteric Coated 325mg (Leiner, tablet
code #44/227)
Dear James,
Stokes Pharmacy of Medford, N.J. will prepare gluten-
free pharmceuticals including over-the-counter medica-tions,such as apirin,
ibuprofen, etc.  Their products are generally, I think, more expensive, but
perhaps peace of mind is worth the extra expense.  Stokes can be reached at
(800)754-5222 or on the web at www.stokesrx.com.  I think they'll ship to
anywhere in the U.S.
                                Best wishes,
                                Jennifer
Aleve works for me and I react to everything. Bob
I have been using the 'non-aspirin' from Wal-Mart marketed under the
EQUATE name.  I called Perrigo Company in Michigan and they told me that
there are other companies that make that same product, but if you make
sure that it's label shows that it was made by Perrigo, you can know that
it is GF.  But that ONLY goes for the ones made by Perrigo.
Their phone number is 616-673-8451 if you would like to verify this.
Grampa Jim
Missouri
The 2 choices I found in Stokes are Extra Strength Excedrin and Nuprin.
Hi,
Stokes Pharmacy lists Ecotrin and Excedrin Extra Strength as
being GF.
Judy in SC
Just two days ago we discovered a GF Aspirin.  It is called Ecotrin and is
coated for stomach protection.  My husband called the company which is
Smith-Kline Beecham because there were several kinds of starch listed in the
ingredients and he was assured that there was no wheat, oats, barley or rye
in any of the contents.  We bought our package at WalGreens Drug Store in
St. Louis, Mo.  I suspect that most drug stores carry the product.
Mary Russell
Mary & Bill Russell
The K-Mart house brand, the Wal Mart house brand, or the NAvy Exchange brand
coates
ones ar GF.
I use Longs store brand of aspirin. I checked with Longs and it's cornstarch
they use as a filler.  I've never had problems with Longs store brands.
Ellen  Switkes
According to Steve Plogsted RPh at Children's Hospital in Columbus, OH, All
Bufferin products EXCEPT Bufferin regular 325 mg tablet (#44/227) are Gluten
Free.  Steve works with our Gluten Free Gang and has done much research and
national presentations on gluten free medications. You can call him at: 614
722 2195.
Hope this helps.
Sylvia
I use Excedrin, which is aspirin, Tylenol, and caffiene mixed - I called
several months ago to cofirm their gluten-free status, and I have had no
ill effects.
Susan

James  Doubravsky   Colorado  USA