From:
Javier Vizcaino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:51:56 +0100
Hi.
In my opinion, you should do the following:
-Boot with the 5.1 and write down the bios settings and the
hard disk geometry the bios thinks the disk has. Backup any
important stuff.
-Change bios chip, and place 5.1 master and 10.1 slave.
-Boot and adjust bios parameters, and see if your disks are
recognized. Mr. Bios could arrange bios data in a different
way, so perhaps you start with default bios parameters.
If it gives a different geometry for the 5.1, put the one
from
the old bios.
-Boot into W98 pressing Ctrl. Then go into "Only system
symbol, safe mode". You should get a DOS prompt. This
prevents W98 making decissions on its own, and touch the
registry or whatever. Check that you see the 5.1 files. Then
you can fdisk and format the 10.1.
-If you have an extended partition on 5.1, it may be a
problem to later exchange 5.1<-> 10.1. If so, don't create a
primary partition on 10.1, just an extended partition with
the volumes you like. Probably, for formatting, you should
boot this way a second time. Perhaps you should forget on
5.1 <-> 10.1.
-Boot again normally, and see if you go completely into W98
and see the two disks. Nobody knows what W98 will do finding
a new bios, but I think the worst case is that a reinstall
will preserve old settings and files.

If 5.1 <-> 10.1:
-With a stable W98, you can move the 5.1 W98 to the 10.1.
(xcopy, sys, etc).
-Change m/s 5.1<-> 10.1 (see previous on partitions).
-Boot again, perhaps with a W98 floppy, and make 10.1
primary partition active.
-Boot normally.

If you have more than one volume on the 5.1, I think
Drivecopy (or others) from PowerQuest will make 5.1 to 10.1
easy, but you should do it with the Mr. Bios and both disks
recognized in bios. Check it supports FAT32, if you have it
on the 5.1.
************************************
Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]
http://www.automodelismo.com http://ability53.hypermart.net
  Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
  Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
  Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1     (ln(-1) is
complex, but exists)

>Hi all!
>
>I recently bought a 10.1 WD hard drive.  I currently have a
5.1 WD which
>I'm using as my master.  I plan on using the 10.1 as my
master and install
>win98 on it.    However, to have the 10.1 WD hard drive
recognized by bios,
>I need to upgrade the bios.
>
>The bios I have now is Award Bios.   I contacted Unicore
and they sent the
>new bios which to me looks like something called Mr Bios.
In reading the
>info before I pull the old chip and install the new one, it
tells me that
>there is a possibility I will lose data in the process.
I plan to use
>the 5.1 as a slave once I install the new bios, prepare the
10.1 drive and
>install win98 on it.   Does the info about losing data
apply to the 5.1 WD
>drive... which has been recognized by my current bios?   I
have all the zip
>files on this drive and don't want to lose them.
>
>Does anyone have any information which might be helpful for
me in changing
>the bios and installing the 10.1 as master and the 5.1 as
slave?  Any help
>is appreciated.
>

>Sue Na

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: