CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 16:04:03 -0500

Fran Gillespie wrote:

> I try to keep a good attitude about juggling these 2 conflicting
> diseases-- but at times I get *sick of it all*. Tired of trying to eat
> gf & keep the carbs down.
> I'm a type 2 doing diet & exercise---- so there's no humalog in the
> picture to cover the carb highs. Let's face it if you are limited to GF
> grains, you will have carb highs!
>
> Why go through all the trouble of home making bread/baked goods when you
> can have so little of it?

Dear Fran:

Join the crowd we are sick of it too! But I also feel that part of the
problem is that doctors/staff are not educated enough on celiac/
diabetes and how the gf breads effect the blood sugar even when you are
adjusting your carbs.

Example: My daughter Brittany (celiac - 7 yrs./diabetic 3 mos.)
         I have tracked Brit's food intake very closely and her
         blood sugars the last 3 mos. (I have a degree in nutrition
         for those who do not know). I have been flabbergasted at
         the fact that I can adjust her carbs so that she can have
         one piece of Energy bread in a meal and it never fails
         that blood sugar sky rockets to 287 or higher. Now this
         is a child that loves to exercise and doesn't miss a day
         of it. So the rule that adjusting you carbs/insulin doesn't
         work when it comes to gf products. Finally I suggested to the
         doctor that we put back in a unit or 2 of Humalog when she
         eats this bread or has a 3 oz. potato. We don't eat these
         foods everyday and on the days she doesn't eat the bread or
         or potatoes she doesn't need the Humalog.

What I am suggesting is that if you are trying to stick to your diet
and still running higher sugars than you maybe a trip to the doctor is
in order and educate him on this carb thing. I don't know maybe the doc
will blow you off. I really don't want to suggest that a person go on
Humalog occasionally, but maybe that is the answer. We have to eat in
order to live. I just wonder how many doctors and dietitians would be
happy on a gf/diabetic diet. Trust me they would be miserable.

Now let's have a positive attitude - we are food challenged but we can
deal with it!

Pam Nylander