VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:32:00 -0400
Hello all,
A lot of this adaptive tech internet stuff is learned through trial and
error as well as spending time and some money.  I have to say that I am
fortunate enough to have parents who felt it was important enough for
their son to have a computer and to have some computer skills.  I can say
yes there were some things that my Mother explained to me but a lot of
things I learned were through tutorials and the desire to take the time to
learn how to do them realizing that computer skills would be important in
a job some day and may even be able to run my own business at some time in
the future.  So in the end it is up to the individual to deside how much
time a week they want to put in to learning computers and the net.
So often blind people talk about wanting to be a part of society.  Well
learning Internet skills and becoming involved in an organization such as
a Freenet in your community is one way in which blind people can
participate in society.  I don't think that the staff at the Three Rivers
Freenet
care that I am blind since birth or blind period.  They care that I can
help organizations put web pages on the web.
Jim