VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. J. P. Senk" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M. J. P. Senk
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:41:22 -0500
I just learned of this service and it seems to have great potential for
those who cannot use print.  Please post your experiences to the list.

excerpted from http://www.commandaudio.com

    Are the RCA CA1000 and the Command Audio Service safe to use while
   driving?

   The RCA CA1000 receiver features a special "eyes free" ergonomic
   design to ensure safe operation while driving. The receiver even has
   audio prompts so drivers don't need to look at the unit in order to
   figure out what it's doing.

   How does the Command Audio Service Work?

   Q: How is the Command Audio Service created and delivered?

   Command Audio's program center processes hundreds of programs each day
   so that the programs can be easily selected and navigated. Program
   sources range from leading print and broadcast sources to original
   content programs that Command Audio produces itself. Command Audio
   daily transmits these programs into service markets using a network of
   FM subcarriers and satellites. Specialized receivers (like the RCA
   CA1000) automatically select and store the programs a listener has
   chosen. Then, you can listen whenever you want, not just when the
   program is originally broadcast (or appears in print). Listeners can
   pause, skip from one program to the next, scan by story or segment
   through programs, and save programs for later listening.

   Q: What if I'm in an area where a particular station is hard to
   receive?

   Command Audio uses multiple transmitters ("diversity transmission") in
   any given market to minimize the effects of multi-path and topographic
   interference. This enables the delivery of reliable service. Even if
   you are in a location without signal coverage, you will still be able
   to listen to your programs - since they are stored in memory.

   Q: What happens if I am out of range when a program is being
   transmitted?

   The Command Audio technology allows for situations where a receiver
   may be out of range for a few moments. First, we use multiple
   transmitters in each market. Second, when required, we repeat
   transmissions of programs, increasing the probability the receiver
   will successfully capture them.

              © Command Audio Corporation. All rights reserved.