VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:19:24 -0500
I've never issued a code red alert before, so this is a new experience for
me.  Apparently, FCC commissioners are wavering on the final rules for
telecommunications access.  These spineless Washington souls are planning
on watering down our access to meaningless dribble if we don't let them
know our feelings.  You can let them know by e-mail how telecommunications
access is important to you.  If you are using Pine 4.0 or greater or
navigator or Explorer, just click on the mailto links.  The mail handling
software will automatically drop the address in the "to" field of your
mail editor and your cursor will be on the subject line.

The communications and electronics industries say that this will cost
them billions.  yet we should also consider the opportunity it creates and
the increased productivity likely to result with access standards that
make telecommunications products more efficient to use.

The alert was originally sent out by the American Foundation for the Blind
and I added mailto links.  Info is included on how to send a fax or
communicate by postal mail.

kelly

From: American Foundation for the Blind <[log in to unmask]>

Action Needed on Telecommunications Access by July 7!

Federal Communications Commission to consider access rules, July
14, 1999

The final rule implementing the disability access requirements of
Section 255 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 will be
considered and voted on by the five  FCC Commissioners on July
14.

It is urgent that you ask the Commissioners to approve this rule
so that people who are blind or severely visually impaired will
be able to use new telecommunications technologies.  You must
contact the Commissioners by July 7 , because Commission rules
preclude consideration of comments and communications after that
date.  You can use e-mail, phone calls, letters or faxes.  A list
of the FCC Commissioner's e-mail, phone and fax numbers, and
addresses follow.

The message is simple: The FCC must ensure equal opportunity by
approving a rule which clearly directs companies to make their
telecommunications products and services accessible and usable by
people who are blind or severely visually impaired.

The best case can be made by providing specific examples of  your
need to use equipment like cellular telephones, pagers, and
multi-line business phones. Cite examples of how their
inaccessible visual displays and  menus prevent you from fully
using them.

Finally, urge the Commission to look to the future of
telecommunications in this rule since devices such as cell phones
and pagers are beginning to be used for far more than merely
dialing a telephone number.

We understand that some representatives of the telecommunications
industry are telling the FCC Commissioners that this new rule may
go too far and hurt their business. You might remind the
Commissioners that we deserve to participate in all aspects of
society, including telecommunications and that companies will not
have to undertake changes to their products and services that are
not readily achievable (easy to accomplish without much
difficulty or expense).

All Commissioners can be reached at the following address (room
numbers are included for each Commissioner):

     Federal Communications Commission
     445 12th Street, S.W.
     Washington, DC 20554

William E. Kennard, Chairman