VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Aldworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth Aldworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:52:57 -0600
You are correct in your assumption that how a screen reader operates can do
much to determine how a web page is read, above and beyond what the web
designers of that page do.  Also the browser and specifically the version
of the browser you use to access that page also plays a part.  For
instance, there are things a web designer can do to utilize features of
versions of Internet Explorer higher than 3.0 which makes speech or large
print access easier.  The decision facing web designers sometimes comes
down to a compromise in these situations because we know there are people
using versions of Internet Explorer such as 3.02 or Lynx which cannot
utilize some of these design features.  Web designers have to make choices
about how to trade off design features against the possibility that people
are using older software which cannot take advantage of some features.  It
is a hard road and I am glad I have been privilleged to work both sides of
it, one as a blind user and the other as part of a web design team.  The
experience has been very educational and hopefully has made me realize the
complexity of the access issues we all face.  Perhaps I will learn patience
from all this.

Elizabeth Aldworth