VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 1997 13:16:24 -0500
below is information how blind library users can access a service called
newsline, which provides access to newspapers through your telephone.  Once
registered, you call this service, operated by the National federation of the
blind, and it reads the contents of newspapers via speech synthesis and a
interactive voice-mail like phone system.  the Chicago tribune is available
through this service.  I received the following message after I tried to
register for this service at the Chicago Public Library Talking Books Center.
CPL not only operates the Chicago center but manages the statewide library for
the blind for the Illinois State Library.  The staff at the library for the
blind did not know at first what I was referring to.  They called back to say
that it wasn't running yet, when others had told me that it was and they were
using it.  Training, service, and support are just as important in accessing
and using technology as dropping technology in the lap of people with
disabilities.

kelly

btw:  the original message from neil kelley contained two spelling errors.