From:
Mateja Mikek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:03:08 +0200
Rob Street wrote:

> >Why is (a little) wine not paleo?
> >
> >Mateja
> >

> Please correct me if I am not aware of such evidence, but I don't think
> fermented anything would be available to a H-G.

I'm only asking, because I've seen a documentary that showed animals (mainly
monkeys and elephants) getting drunk on fermented fruit. I can't remember
exactly which documenatry this was, but I did find quite a lot of www sites,
that mention this phenomena. Here is one of them: (search for "fermented")
http://www.hoboes.com/html/Politics/Prohibition/Notes/87-88DSB.html
The part of text in question says:
"...The animal drunk that most intrigued our group, though, was the African
elephant, a mammal strongly
attracted to the odor of ripening mgongo, doum, and marula fruit. We found
that when elephants arrived
late for the feast, the fruit had usually fermented to a 7 percent alcohol
solution...."

If fermented fruit is available to animals, why would't it be available to
H-Gs?

> I know some South American
> tribes make fermented liquids, but I don't think it a regular part of the
> diet.  It is just used for rituals.

That is why I said *a little* wine...