From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 23:01:54 -0400
On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, James Crocker wrote:

> >Rice, I recall from Jenny Brand Miller's posting on Paleodiet, is
> >one of those paradoxical foods whose insulin index is lower than
> >what would be predicted from its glycemic index.
> >
> >Todd Moody
>
> This is very interesting indeed.  What would cause this?  Are there other
> foods that exhibit similar characteristics?  Can we depend on GI as a
> good guide at all for that matter?

There is a strong but by no means perfect correlation between GI
and II.  I think Miller estimated the correlation to be about .7.
As for other foods, the best example would be meats.  They have a
negligible GI but a significant II.  As for the cause, I think we
tend to forget that protein also causes insulin release, and I
think the exact kind of protein matters as well.

> Also, what is in rice that makes it so deadly awful?  In other words,
> which offending proteins are supposed to cause the immune response
> problems, like gluten and luten in wheat?

I'm not aware of serious immune-mediated health problems
associated with rice, but then I haven't looked very hard.  My
main reason for avoiding the stuff is that I find it altogether
too easy to eat mountains of it.  But if and when I do cheat and
eat a few mouthfuls of the stuff I have no adverse reaction,
whereas my tolerance for even modest amounts of pasta seems to be
gone.

Todd Moody