From:
Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:28:36 -0400
At 06:36 PM 9/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Wade Reeser wrote:
>
>> Certainly, it has been abundantly shown that humans and their ancestors
have
>> been eating alot of meat for a long time.
>>
>> I think you are really missing the boat on this.  What problems do you have
>> with
>> the consumption of meat?
>>
>  Wade,  I  read Amadeus as reacting to the concept that more meat is
better for
> which there is an obvious constituency on this list;   particularly in
light of
> the "modern"  feed lot meat vs.  that which was consumed by paleo
ancestors.  He
> has never said that he has a problem with the consumption of meat per se.

Well, in one of his latest posts he said he was personally "disgusted" by
meat.

>As to
> the question of the ratio of meat to plant nutrients,  it has often been
> proposed on this list that there had to have been  much variation
seasonally, by
> region, and by epoch relative to major climatic variations.  I think it
is silly
> to propose that our hominid ancestors would have passed up wild berries,
> mushrooms or other ripe fruit when it was available.  In fact,  I think they
> would have  gorged on it when they happened upon ripe stands just as they
would
> have gorged upon antelope or other ungulates when such large slabs of
protein
> were available.   If strawberries were plentiful in the artic,  do you
really
> think that the Inuit would leave them for the ptarmigans???

I have never stated that one shouldn't eat plants or that eating plants was
not
paleolithic.  I have stated that I strongly believe that all nutrition is
adaquately
met through meat alone.  Further I'll state now that I believe a purely
vegetarian diet is unnatural, insufficient and for most will lead to ill
health in
a fairly short time.  Vegitarianism is a decidedly un-paleolithic eating
plan.  Man
is a remarkably adaptable animal and will eat what is edible and available.
 I use
the extreme examples of the Inuit as a people who thrive on a meat only
diet.
Almost nobody survives on a strict vegan diet and those that do suffer for
it.  Most
notable is B12 and iron deficiency.  Fortunately even primarily agrarian
societies
get enough animal protein in the form of grubs and other insects that
contaminate
their food to at least keep them alive if not in the peak of health.

 >If you read back
> over his numerous posts,  you will wee that he is arguing for the
efficacy of a
> predominance of plant foods rather than condemning meat as a component of a
> paleo diet. Rick Strong

Actually, it you read some of his latest post you'll see that he is
"disgusted" by
meat.  Therefore I think you can see he has a decidedly anti-meat agenda.

   Wade Reeser   [log in to unmask]