From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:05:33 -0500
I need to do a little catch up here, so there are several topics in this post.

It is human instinct to eat food until we are satiated.  Much of my point in relating CR to
paleo diet is the quality of paleo type foods.  Paleo foods are, by definition, whole, natural
and unrefined.  Therefore, mostly they have a high ratio of nutritents/calories.  Modern refined
foods do not (bread, pizza, hamburgers, pasta, sugar, etc.).  The effect of eating plenty of
nutrients is to satiate the body's need for more food.  Simple calories are also needed, though,
so we also eat until we feel we have enough calories.  The satiation feeling is a combination of
getting enough calories and enough nutrients.  Eating SAD foods, people continue eating until
the high caloric intake satiation kicks in before enough nutrients are ingested.  Put another
way, people eating SAD keep eating to try and get enough nutrients, sometimes not succeeding.
If I can find a good balance which will maximize my nutrition and satiation, while minimizing my
caloric intake, I will have achieved my goal.  That's what leads me to a paleo diet.

Eating paleo foods makes a CR diet much easier, because it satisfies nutrient needs at the
lowest calorie level possible.  Of course a person can blend a CR and paleo diet.  That is what
I am trying to do.  If a person wants to practice CR, they can simply choose paleo foods to fill
out the menu.  What surprised me was how much easier it was on a paleo diet.  That's one of the
things I am trying to get across to the readers on this list.

I think it was Michael that said I eat grains but not eggs.  Recently I have restricted grains
completely, and my egg intake is the same (a real one every so often, egg beaters more often).
Today I had a three egg omolet with fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, and onions out of the garden.
The eggs were egg beaters.

What are people's feelings about buckwheat, rice, and similar "grains".  Are they grains, are
they acceptable on paleo?  I don't think they are technically grains, but that doesn't matter to
me.  They don't contain gluten, which is a big issue, of course.  I do notice that when I eat
them I need plenty more calories to feel satisfied.  BTW - white rice has way too many
cals/nutrietents.  I would only ever eat brown rice, or use brwn rice flour.