From:
Kathy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:18:16 -0400
At 10:51 PM 8/4/98 +0200, you wrote:
>>> I wrote:
>>> Does someone here know if the alien proteins of grains are also
>>> present in the green leaf/straw part of grasses?
>
>At 11:38 1998-08-03 -0400, Todd Moody  wrote:
>>I conjecture that the answer is yes.  That is, they may not be
>>precisely the same proteins, but they are probably just as
>>foreign to the human digestive system, since we cannot eat grass.
>
>Can't we? Dogs eat grass (very little at a time but now and then).
>There are a lot of green plants eaten in small amounts bt h/g's
>so why not grass leaves?

IMO, your average kibble-fed dog eats grass as he's desperate for some kind
of living real food. They don't really digest it though, and if they eat
enough of it, their stomach will reject it and they will vomit. If it
passes through, you will find the grass intact in the stool.

OTOH, there are plants that dogs can digest raw - at least my Paleo pooches
can. I let them graze and eat whatever greens appeal to them and their
hands-down favorite is spring burdock - leaves, stems and roots. The gobble
the whole top of the plant, then start digging and gnawing the root to
about 2 - 3" below ground level. Kills the plant btw. They appear to digest
all of this completely - I never see a sign of it in the stool.

Kathy Partridge
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Artworks website: <http://www.borg.com/~atelierk/>
Atelier Golden Retrievers & Goldens Portrayed
Member GRCA, up in central New York