NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rose Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 00:20:29 EST
Steve,
It's true that many manufacturers have improved their ingredient listings and
their misleading descriptions. When we first began searching for milk-free
food products 5 years ago, many -- such as Cool Whip -- identified themselves
as non-dairy.
Lately, I've noticed less of this.
The best practice: Read the labels and know what you're looking for.
It's time consuming and can be frustrating, but it's really the best way to
lower your risk of using a product that has milk.
At the same time, I'll say there are still products out there that use milk-
derived natural or artificial flavorings, without noting it.
When in doubt, I call manufacturers to check or I simply don't use the
product. It's not worth the risk for my 6-year-old son.
And when I find a case like Duncan Hines Double Fudge Brownie mix changing its
recipe and clearly noting it on the package and the ingredients, I call to
thank them for their labeling changes.

Sorry to go on and on. I guess it's just that this has become such a big part
of the equation in trying to keep our son's diet milk-free (because he has an
anaphylactic allergy).
Thanks for listening!

Rose