BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:49:27 EST
... interview for news story on how he/she decides to put the little doo-dads
where, whose face to carve, etc.  By "stonecarver" I refer generically to a
mason who sculpts figural works out of stucco, cement whatever (Ken: no
chewing gum).

The guy I really wanted to interview was doing a face on an HDFC project on
102nd and Park Avenue about 5 years ago.  It was a typical tenement, nothing
special and definitely a budget job, but this mason was sculpting a head for a
keystone.

He spoke no English (and may have been afraid of being identified) and I could
never track him (or even the subcontractor) down after the fact.  I was
curious where he learned his trade, what else he did, how he chose the face,
etc.

Signed,  Strictly Legit  (Christopher Gray)