BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:42:12 EST
In a message dated 11/23/98 12:09:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> These
>  are the folks that have some interest in getting the technique right, but
>  are not going to test their bricks or mortar. They are not going to hire an
>  architect or a conservator, but welcome our "free" technical advice. Their
>  mason is going to fuss about having to mix something up that doesn't come
>  in a bag.

I'm amazed at just how many of these folks there are in the world that do not
resort to an architect or engineer.

One of my great decisions in life, after mentoring under several *traditional*
stone masons, was to not ever work again for anyone who could not read the
backside of a cement bag. Sadly, I think this decision got me more trouble
than I bargained for. Used to be I could spend all day pointing and
considering it bliss.

Many of the American buildings we consider historic, and that preservationists
want to work on, were built by craftsmen who often read no more than a bible,
let alone a cement bag. Now, to fix these same buildings it appears we need
extensive education and certification all around. When not working, which was
a rarity, my first mentor spent his time watching Merv Griffen. As for
reading, his wife did it for him. But you could not read out of a book his 50
years of skill to cut boulders and build fireplaces that worked.

][<en Follett