BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:30:25 -0400
This happened 22 years ago and it stills spooks me.  I was restoring a
mid-18th century stone house in the Hudson Valley.  Not only had I been
working on the house for about a year, doing careful investigation,
selective removal, uncovering physical evidence, etc., but I also had been
researching the builder's family. His son, a miller and Revolutionary War
soldier, had made major changes to the house, and I found his will which
listed all his worldly goods, etc.
One night about 11:30 I was on the second floor, whcih had been the attic
loft originally, measuring evidence in the floor boards of the original
stair opening and railing that had been removed long ago.  I'd been on my
knees measuring and sketching for some time, when I stood up too fast. As I
blacked out momentarily, I saw in my minds eye the attic as it had
originally been, open, without  bedroom/hall walls,  And I saw the owner's
loom set up in the corner and piles of his stuff as listed in his inventory.
The vision lasted only a moment, but I quickly went downstairs to the
kitchen and made a cup of tea to calm my nerves before trying to go to
sleep.  Was it a latent image floating in the ether awaiting a receptor for
200 years, or was it a manufactured image of my imagination built using the
information I had researched on the house and owner??  I don't know but it
was very real when it happened.
It was a pleasant enough experience, as one who wishes for time travel to
ease my historic building research problems, that in 22 years I have been
waiting, hoping for it to happen again, but nothing.
Michael