From:
jamie knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:31:11 -0800

As you can imagine, I received numerous replies to my questions.  Thanks
to all who took time to reply.  The answer is yes, the food and mileage
are deductible.  The food is adjusted to what the normal cost of regular
food is to the cost of gf food  A perfect example to this is that if a
regular loaf of bread costs $2.00 and a gf loaf of bread costs $4.00,
then you can deduct the difference of $2.00.  Of course, you can only do
this if you itemize your medical expenses.  The mileage is the same as
for a doctor visit.  Another helpful source is a web site at
http://www.celiac.com/tax.html.  I am curious as to how many people have
been audited by claiming this deduction.  Please let me know if you were
audited.  It was also recommended that you obtain a doctor's statement
requiring you to be on a gf diet for life.
Jamie