From:
rice cakes etc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:30:43 -0400

Dear Listmates,

Since Linda posed the question today about whether or not celiacs should be
organ donors, I thought I would let you know that last year Canadian Red
Cross, now the Canadian Blood Services, decided last year that celiacs
could no longer donate blood. In mid-December I wrote to Linda Cranston,
the head of the Blood Services, asking why this decision was made in Canada
(ie, what do they know that no other blood agency in the world knows) & I
especially asked whether this meant I shouldn't be an organ donor. She
wrote back that she is looking into it - haven't heard anything yet.  I
will be sending a follow-up in a couple of weeks if she hasn't replied.

It would be interesting to hear from celiacs in other countries on both
issues: being blood donors and being organ donors.

Helen in Vancouver, BC Canada