From:
Betty Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 11:54:48 EDT

Thanks to all who responded to our request on how to make a palatable cake
from gf cake mixes.  In all, 20  persons responded.  Following is a summary of
the reponses.

Most advised adding ingredients to the mix to provide more flavor and texture.
Some of the ingredients suggested were:

To chocolate cake mixes:
   add more salt
   add chocolate chips
   add 1-2 Tb ground or instant coffee granules
   add 1/4 tsp cloves
   add almond flavor (several suggested doing this)
   "jazz up" mix with Skor candies.

To white cake mixes:
   add vanilla
   add lemon zest or orange zest
   add one or more of: almond meal, ground hazel nuts, orange peel, cocoa, milk
      chocolate chips, raisins, sultanas, anise seed

One person added 1/2 cup mayonaise, 2/3 cup water and 2 eggs instead of the
suggested additions on the box.  Hunt's vanilla pudding was another added
ingredient  and is said to add moisture.

Another person suggested adding extra sugar, eggs, fruit and/or chocolate.

Putting extra frosting on was still another suggestion.

Several said they used recipes in Bette Hagman's books (the ones that were
made with gf cake mixes).  Some liked the results, others did not.

The mixes that were mentioned were produced by Dietary Specialties, Authentic,
Ms. Robins, Really Great Foods, Carolina Country Kitchens and Deroma.
Robins and Authentic seemed to be the most preferred.

We did make a white cake from Dietary Specialties gf cake mix.  Added an extra
egg, lemon peel to the batter and frosted it with a confectioner sugar/lemon
juice glaze.  My husband liked it and company (non gf) said it was "good."
That was an improvement from the last time I cooked for gf's and non-gf's at
one sitting.

Thanks to all,

Betty Rosen