From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:01:48 -0400

Dear Listmates:

Sometimes you know something so well that you assume everyone else knows it
too.

For instance, when we ask at a restaurant if there is any wheat or soy
sauce in the foods, we celiacs (me anyway) assume that the server
understands that we are looking for gluten, and it might be in the black
bean sauce too. Or when well meaning friends cook for us & clearly announce
that they went out and bought rice flour to use & we assume that they know
that they need to check the ingredients in the baking powder they used,
too. Or they buy some rice cakes & don't know that rice cakes could be
multigrain & we don't ask to  look at the bag because a rice cake is a rice
cake - right?

O was at a local bakery on the weekend that is attached to an organic foods
sotre. The store's newsletter had included the info that the new bakery
would be making some gluten free products. So I asked at the bakery & was
told that the products could be found in the main store, but that she had
some "nearly gluten free" items in the bakery itself.  These newly gluten
free items were made with quinoa, spelt & other questionable grains.  I
just stood there with my mouth open and decided that I wouldn't be buying
any of their gluten free products because their baking conditions might
also be "nearly gluten-free."

Besides, we have another wonderful bakery here in Vancouver called Panne
Rizo, and all their products are gluten free & frequently are also lactose
free.  You can always spot a deprived celiac visiting this bakery/deli  for
the first time - they are gorging on the wonderful assortment of goodies
available. They can be reached at sallay@pannerizorice breads.com. They do
special orders, like hamentachen & wedding cakes & obviously I can't say
enough about them.  They will send goodies via courier, if you on't happen
to be able to visit them personally. They can be reached at their e-mail
address sallay@pannerizorice breads.com, or phone 604.736.0885.

I don't have any financial interest in this company except for spending $$
there!

Anyway, enough of my soap box today. I felt inspired after reading Louise
Shriver's experience with pharmacies.

Helen, Vancouver, BC