From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:21:16 -0400

Dear Listmates,

I was very pleased to discover So Good dairy free beverage in the grocery
stores here in British Columbia. I was attracted to this new product because:
1. it was soy - good for menopausal symptoms
2. it had added calcium that was equivalent to that found in milk
3. there was a "no fat" version
4. it tasted good
5. it specifically says it is Gluten Free in their brochure

HOWEVER - I must issue a warning that I definitely experienced a noticeable
celiac reaction when I began to make myself daily "smoothies" in the
blender. My recipe basically is a banana, a small number of frozen
rasberries or blueberries, some non-fat g.f. yogourt, a small amt of orange
juice & the So Good. I should add that this was the only change to my diet,
so it was easy to pinpoint.

I contacted the company three times and each time was assured that it was
Gluten Free. They did state that the maltodextrin could include wheat
starch, but that their chemist had declared that the protein had been removed.

Finally, I decided to experiment by going off drinking the So Good & my
symptoms stopped. I again contacted the company and suggested that they get
some information about Celiac to their chemists & I let them know that I
was not using their product anymore. I also said that I was going to alert
the celiac list.

My smoothie is now made with a low fat soy drink (hard to find!) & some
buttermilk (1% b.f.) for the calcium part. I've had no celiac reaction to
this combination of ingredients.

The brochure also states that the product name & logos etc are registered
trademarks owned by the Australian Conference Association - so I am
guessing this product is being marketed elsewhere in the world.

If anyone has any other suggestions of how to encourage this company to
take another look at the ingredient make-up of this product & to have them
remove the Gluten Free statement from their brochure, and to stop stating
that it is Gluten Free when anyone phones their 800 #, I'd love to follow up.

Thanks,

Helen, Vancouver, BC Canada