From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:15:48 -0700

     I went to the Chelsea Market here in Manhattan over the weekend,
and discovered a new source of GF goodies. Ruthy's Cheesecake &
Rugelach bakes superior cheesecakes, the very same ones that are sold
at some of the most expensive restaurants in New York and New Jersey.
They make many varieties, but only three happen to be GF:
     - White Chocolate
     - Ricotta
     - Cappuccino
      All cheesecakes are $8.25 for the five inch cake; $17.95 for the
7"; and $29.95 for the 10".
      The head baker brought out all the ingredients they use,
including an industrial shortening that contains cornstarch (no flour
is used to dust the pans). The cakes are not for the corn-intolerant.
      I took a white chocolate cheesecake to a party on Saturday, and
it was quite a hit.
      The bakery is at Chelsea Market, 415 15th St (corner of Ninth
Av.), 212-463-8800.
      By the way, if you go or call, do please make a fuss (in a nice
way) about the ingredients, checking every time that no
gluten-containing ingredients are used. I believe that only sheer
force of numbers will make manufacturers and bakers realize that there
is a substantial gluten-intolerant market out there, just dying to be
exploited.
       Regards to all,

       Mary in NYC