From:
Joanne D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 15:53:47 -0500

Thank you all for your responses to my recent question on yeast.  I felt
confident enough to use the cake yeast.  I called Red Star and they
confirmed that the cake was GF, and was packaged with corn starch and
moisture.  They suggested 1/3 cake for 3 cups of flour.  They are also
sending some GF recipes.
The following is a summary of the responses I received:

-------------------

Red Star is safe.  They are aware of celiac disease and have a free recipe
book.  Call them at 1-800-4celiac.  (Len)

--------------------

I use Red Star Active Dry Yeast as it says on the packet  "Does not contain
wheat gluten or other cereal protein"     Also Red Star is very aware of
our problems and will mail you lots of great GF bread
recipes..........................................Jess

-------------------

My bet is that when someone says regular yeast, it's to distinguish it from
rapid rise and bread machine yeasts.  The CSA book says not to use "instant"
active dry yeast.  I've used Fleismann's and Red Star without suspected
reaction.  I also used rapid rise and bread machine products and can't say
that they caused a noticeable reaction.  I've never used colmpressed yeast,
only packages and bottled loose stuff.  If you want more information try
CSA/USA P.O.  Box 31700 Omaha, NE 68131-0700.  Their Commercial Products
Listing book has a detailed description.  Linda

--------------------

The guide may mean not to use the Red Star Quick Rise Yeast, but
remember, that listing is going on three years old.  I suggest that you
check with Red Star, they may be able to answer all of your questions,
1-800- 445-4746.  Happy New Year, Karen  From Central NY, USA.

----------------------

I don't know why CSA says to only use regular yeast.  I use Red Star
granulated and the Quick Rise and they are both gluten free.  I called on the
Quick Rise just to make sure and I don't why CSA is so strict on so many
things that are not harmful to Celiacs.

I don't use the cake so don't know about it so you might want to call on it.

Barb from NE Ohio

----------------------

As I understand it - yeast actually consumes sugars.  There are yeasts
that make bread rise and there are yeasts that make fruit juice into
wine.  They all consume sugars and give off carbon dioxide if oxygen is
available or alcohol if oxygen is not.

As I understand it - starches can be converted to sugars for yeast to
consume also.

I hope that makes some sense..

Grampa Jim

Missouri
---------------------

It says "gluten-free" or "contains no grain or gluten" on packages/jars of
Red Star yeast.  It is manufactured here in Milwaukee and we had Glenna Vance
speak at one of our meetings.  They develop gf recipes for bread machine
manufacturers.  All their yeast is gf.  ...

Differences between regular & quick rise is in the size of the particles its
dried into.  (Ms.  Vance did say that Fleischmann's quick rise made in
Canada, no the US version, was dried w/ a process which introduced gluten
into the yeast, but other Fleischmanns were gf.)

Red Star yeast is grown on molasses from sugar cane.  Yeast grows on
sugars-carbohydrates, not on proteins.  Molasses is only sugar.  Yeast
particles are stained out & compressed (cakes) OR sprayed on screens, dried,
and then broken off into flakes.  Size of the flakes determines how quickly
it works and how evenly it is distributed throught the dough.

Regular yeast has larger particles & needs a couple of kneadings to get it
mixed evenly though the dough.  Quick rise is very fine so it only need to be
mixed once to make the entire product rise.  Quick rise can be tricky to use,
however, because the tiny particles are easier to accidently kill if you use
water that is too hot.

Bev in Milwaukee