From:
Shay Sal & Alon Ben-Yehuda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 18:31:01 +0200

Dear list members,

I had positive gluten free experience while flying Alitalia in the last
month of August. Read the appendix and don^Òt miss the conclusions in the
end of it:

Well, I am new gluten sensitive that have just diagnosed celiac, in my
31st year of age after years of latent celiac. The adjustment period to
it is still taking place in my life, but the hardest stage is quite
behind me.

In those hardest days, while baking the breads by myself didn^Òt success
at all and adjusting a new very rigid diary I had also some pressures
from the point of my work (not so serious anyway). Consequently - my
nerves crashed down. I felt like getting crazy and I had to escape as
soon as possible from here, namely Israel.

I decided immediately to have a two weeks trip over Germany for having a
rest and a relaxing. I had all flight from Israel to Germany via
connection in Italy with ALIATLIA, the Italian airlines in the regular
class. Of course, I ordered and reconfirm the GF meals.

The attendants always gave me the special meals first of all, before
getting the other regulars to the other people. That gave me the feeling
of they were taking care of me. I was relaxed and counted on them. Don^Òt
forget I was then in my first days of my celiac diet. Those were gluten
free meals for sure. The attendants offered me additionally
non-gluten-free bread (because they couldn^Òt know what those breads got
to do with my special order). Of course I refused and kindly explained
them the point of the gluten sensitivity.

I also have to admit that I like to eat a lot. I am not fat at all, I
just love to eat, especially nowadays, while trying to get fatter and
body rebuilt at a time, which I can not eat everything I want in regard
to the sensitivity to gluten. That^Òs why I requested from the crew one
more meal each time (and in other direction ^Ö two more meals). The
answer they gave me was, as you may know, that there is no more gluten
free meals in the kitchen. As a result I requested them to bring me
additional regular meals they had already, so I can pick from those
packs only allowed food I can eat.

I happily discovered that the attendants gave me what I sympathetically
requested from them. I picked up to my mouth only fruit, not dressed
meat, vegetables in kind of vinegar. I let myself choose it very
carefully after checking the ingredient list of each food that entered
my mouth. No gastrointestinal symptom appeared.

Conclusions:

1. If you will have the opportunity to chose flying with Alitalia ^Ö Take
my best recommendation to Alitalia air lines. The GF meals are GF
factually, and the attendant^Òs service is fabulous as well in regard to
my case anyway.
2. Don^Òt hesitate to count on yourselves and choose carefully picked up
GF food from non-GF meals during flights after getting more meals from
the crew.

Sincerely,
Alon (in Israel)