From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:28:03 -0400

I don't know that I have any color deficiency, but my father is red/green
colorblind (he can see the differences when they are pointed out to him, so
he can't be completely colorblind). Carma in Phoenix

>I, too, am red/green color deficient.  That's a really interesting
>possibility!!  The color thing was discovered about 20 years ago though I
>was just diagnosed with celiac a year ago.  Wonder what the relationship
>is?  My son also has some color "blindness", though I can't remember the
>specifics - his was discovered when he was a young child.  But he won't
>be tested for celiac, and doesn't seem to display any symptoms.  Keep me
>posted.  Gayle in Boise

>How does one determine the red-green color deficiency?  I have never been good
>at choosing colors that look well together.  Perhaps there is a reason.
Ruth in NE Ohio

>Interesting subject! Thanks for the post. I recently learned that there is a
>form of color blindness that is often mis-diagnosed as a learning disability
>because it limits the field of vision to a narrow band. For example, a person
>trying to read would only be able to bring a few words at a time into focus.
>It can be corrected by wearing glasses that are very slightly tinted with the
>colors the person is missing.
>
>My friend's son has this. She is of Irish ancestry, the dad is northern
>Italian. No idea about gluten. I'm working on having my boys tested. One is
>celiac, the other not. I plan to circulate a letter among my relatives
>explaining about celiac and gluten intolerance. (I don't have celiac, but
>suffer celiac-like symptoms if I eat gluten.)  I'll put this in as a query, as
>you did. Judith, Mountain View, CA

>Guess what? I went out and bought a new vehicle when Betty and I had been
>together a sort time. The dealer had to prep it, so I had to wait a day or
>two.  She asked me what color it was. I didn't remember. It isn't that I'm
>color blind. I'm just not very sensitive to colors, especially shades of
>colors. I can't really tell if something is green or blue or if it is dark
>red or brown. That kind of thing.
>
>I am also cc'ing a friend who has a celiac son, who also has difficulty
>with color, although I don't know if he is color blind, or just deficient.
>
>I'm also curious about the pigmentation of the eyes. Mine are blue. If
>memory serves, yours are too.
>
>Best wishes,
>Ron  in Calgary

>as I said before I think you are onto something!
>The question would be this:  if you ask the general
>population of non-celiacs, would they respond
>differently?
>Valerie, Calif

That's it for this morning.  One really would need all sorts of statistics
about red/green deficiency and other color "blindness" in the general
population and in non celiacs before carrying this question farther.  If
there is a research scientist out there who is looking for a project...

Out to the lounge chair to enjoy a nice fall day.  Gayle Kennedy