Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:46:18 -0700
From:
Hannelore Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>

Dear listmembers:
Last year at this time I enlisted your help. I was feeling very ill,
loosing a lot of hair and wondering about malabsorption. I got lots of
supportive email and suggestions about having my thyroid checked. Well,
four dr. later I am finally getting somewhere. The GI dr. thought it was
all in my head, I was just fine, no malabsorption, no thyroid (TSH was
normal). 9 months later, after depression assessment (looks like it, but
is not clinical depression) another doctor suggested that the lump on my
throat was a swollen lymph node, probably from allergies, the next dr.
suggested it was psychosomatic (the lump in the throat bit) and the
otolaryngologist I saw next diagnosed gastric esophagus reflux disease.
But he did suggest a thyroid ultrasound, because I thought it might be
thyroid. Well the findings came back: there is a nodule with sonographic
characteristics consistent with papillary thyroid carcinoma. Naturally
it could also be another type of carcinoma or a benign lesion. Now the
otolaryngologist wants to do a needle biopsy. My questions to anybody on
the list who has had problem like this. Is the ENT dr. right person to
do this or should it be done by an endocrinologist? If the nodule needs
to be excised, is there a hospital stay involved and will I get a
gluten-free diet? For those readers in Oregon, is there a recommendation
of a dr. or surgeon somebody thinks is great?
TIA
Hanne in Oregon