Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 13:52:33 -0700

The June issue of Tufts University Health and Nutrition Letter says: "Note
that corn allergy is very rare, probably affecting fewer than one in 10,000
people. And sometimes people are incorrectly diagnoseed with it because
skin and blood tests can give false-positive results for those allergic to
grass pollen. The most accurate test is a double-blind placebo-controlled
oral food challenge -- the gold standard for food allergy diagnosis."

I thought this was interesting for two reasons: 1. the idea that people
allergic to grass pollen may register false positives; and 2. that they
insist the food challenge is the "gold standard" for food allergy
diagnosis. Now I wonder how this relates to "intolerances" since the
practice now seems to be to not make much distinction between allergy and
intolerance.

More on folic acid. This issue also states that the "upper level for Adults
per day" for folic acid is 1,000 mcg. This means from all sources including
foods and supplements -- unless, of course, you are under a docs
supervision. -vance