From:
"J. Rackley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:16:36 -0700

My husband and I are both GF, non-diagnosed by MDs except as wheat-allergic.

My son has been eating gluten for about two years (he is four) although he
gets no gluten at home.  For the past few months he has been complaining of
a stomach ache almost every day.  I brought him into the pediatrician on Aug
28 and he is going to test him for Celiac, and will be also testing him with
the RAST blood test for allergies to wheat, soy, potatoes, milk, corn, and a
few other foods we commonly eat.  Since that date I have tried to make sure
he has wheat as often as possible.  I have had him eat McDonalds hamburgers
with the bun 3-4 times a week, and he has had wheat snacks at preschool 3
times a week.  Is this sufficient for a gluten challenge?  It has been about
six weeks.  Is this long enough?

Also, we have in the past couple of weeks allowed my 2 year old daughter her
first wheat.  Again it hasn't been in our house since we have no gluten in
the house.  But I have been careful, and so far have seen no ill effects.
Any suggestions on whether any restrictions are necessary, and how/if you
have introduced gluten to children would be helpful.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Jenny Rackley
Woodinville, WA USA