Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:53:45 -0400
From:
Rebecca Goyan <[log in to unmask]>

As expected, most of us are living with non-celiacs, some of whom seem to be
very supportive, some who seem to be uninterested, and some who seem to go out
of their way to make our lives miserable.  I am lucky to have one of the good
ones!  Thanks to all who responded to my query.

We are both chemists.  We work in very clean environments and have had enough
experiments ruined by contamination that we were wondering if gluten could be
passed around while washing dishes, either by hand or in the dishwasher.
Certainly washing chemical lab ware in a dishwasher does not get it clean enough
for our use and we thought that possibly we might be contaminating my dishes by
washing them with hers.  So we're not crazy, just perhaps a little too educated
in one respect, not enough in another!

Turns out, most people wash their dishes together with no problems and were even
convinced that the dishwasher would do a better job.  The main areas of concern
were porous materials, like wood and plastic.  It was suggested that I use a
glass cutting board instead of wood or plastic and that Anna have her own wooden
utensils for cooking pasta (or use stainless steel or teflon coated utensils).
A separate strainer for pasta may also be a good idea.  She is very good about
scooping her stuff out of common jars with a spoon so not to contaminate the
jar.  As well, it was suggested that any non-gf jars be marked with black marker
as such so I can't make mistakes.  Most people have separate toasters or a "my
side, your side" agreement, but as I have yet to find a gf bread recipe that I
actually like, I don't use the toaster.  It was also suggested that we buy
bakeware without seams - glass bakeware is sounding better and better all the
time to me!

She is still a little paranoid, as her aunt (a doctor) filled her in on some of
the more gory details about what can happen to my insides if I don't follow the
diet and pretty much scared her a bit.  My mother will also be relieved to know
that we don't have to worry about which dishes I use when I come to visit!

Becky
Calgary, Alberta