VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:56:40 -0500
Before recipiants of this petition automatically sign it, as if it is an
unquestionably good thing, consider:

Hate, is a motivation. Is it appropriate to designate crimes based on the
motivation? If so, there ought to be Greed crimes, Desperation crimes,
Curiosity crimesPain crimes, and so on.

I don't see the purpose in creating entirely new categories of crimes
based on motivation. Motivations are not crimes. The law should act to
restrain an individual when it has ample evidence that such individual can
not, or will not respect the rights of another person. And, that person
ought to be restrained until a court has ample proof that he or she is no
longer a threat.

Motivation is irrelevant. It makes no difference to me if I am assaulted
by a person who hates me, or by a person who loves me. The law should
only consern itself with a person's willingness or ability to respect my
rights.

Peter Seymour