From:
Bob Chapel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 05:05:53 -0500
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if UNIX will run on any RISC processor or does it require
a specific type of a RISC chip?  I recall apple using RISC processors and
wonder if UNIX can be loaded to an apple for this reason.

I am sorry for my ignorance but I have precious little familiarity with UNIX
and need to learn as much as I can in rather a hurry since I have assumed
responsibility for a network that has a main server running AIX UNIX on an
IBM RS-60000.  BTW...this machine has a 50mhz processor in it along with 64
megs of RAM and dual 2.0 gig SCSI's.  In the world of RISC and UNIX can
anyone tell me if this is a reasonably powerful unit or way behind the times
(I know in the PC world it would be a very outdated machine).

Can anyone direct me to some info re: RISC processors .  Given their reduced
instruction set do they require substantially fewer cycles to complete their
tasks such that say a 50mhz chip would be the equivalent of perhaps a 100mhz
INTEL.....stated more succinctly....How does one rate the power of a RISC
chip relative to an INTEL compatible.

Thanks for any assistance (again)

Bob Chapel

                            The NOSPIN Group