From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:51:30 -0600
Does the PC power on to bios when the AMD chips are installed?  If not I
suspect the chips themselves aren't quite set right in their socket. Try
resetting them am make sure they are situated tight.  I ran into a
similar problem with a k62-300, when upgrading, the ZIF socket closed
and I thought the chip was seated, but no boot.  After some twisting and
turning I finally got it to seat and no more problems.  The only other
suggestion I have is to double check your voltage settings.  --You could
also try running one of the AMD's underclocked on the Pentium 166
settings to see if the problem persists, if so, then you know it's not
the mobo.

Dan Shaughnessy

"B. Fink" wrote:

> I had been running a k-6 233 for about six months without any problems,
>
> but when I tried to boot up the other day I only received a blank screen.
>
> I decided to try a pent 166 out of another computer, and it booted with no
> problems.
>
> I figured I had a bad cpu and replace it with a k-62 300.
>
> The new cpu ran fine for one day and then wouldn't reboot again.
>
> I then took the 233 and the 300 and tried them in another
>
> computer and they both ran fine.
>
> All my setting were changed to accommodate the various cpu's, but still no
> luck
>
> running in my computer.
>
> I am pretty well convinced that my MB is bad, possibly at the v-core level,
>
> but I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
>
> The 166 I'm forced to use is making me nuts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Fink
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owner's:
>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>