From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 00:17:55 -0600
Paul, it sounds like you **may**  have used too many of the
"mounting screws."  Actually, these are not mounting screws,
but grounding screws, and one or two should be plenty.  You
use the funny-shaped plastic stand-offs to do the actual
mounting so that the board is not attached firmly except in
one or two spots.  The reason for all this is to permit the
board to expand and contract without buckling when it
heats up.  If it is firmly attached, it might buckle and break
a trace or pop a chip (if they are not surface mounted).

I am not sure how much of a problem this is these days
with the highly integrated circuitry, so I don't know what
the risk  really is.  (If a motherboard goes bad because
of a broken trace, I suspect that it is very hard to
detect.)

Dean Kukral