From:
Michael Tabak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:25:34 -0400
>   I have a compaq computer that has devloped a strange symptom.  When I try
>to boot up the computer it gets about to the point where it shows a screen
>that says windows and internet exploer and then it shuts down and re-boots.
>THis is a continuous cycle so I can't get into windows.  Any suggestions??

You might try these:

1. While trying to boot into Windows, hold down both SHIFT keys, which will
prevent some programs -- perhaps including one that is causing a problem --
from loading.

2. Boot only to DOS (command prompt), instead of trying to boot to Windows,
and then run Norton Disk Doctor or some similar utility, which may catch
and fix errors.  Also, see whether there are any files in your \TMP or
\TEMP directory that may be interfering and that should be deleted.

3. Select the option of creating a log file while you try to boot into
Windows, and then examine the log file to see if you can determine what is
causing the problem, such as a missing or corrupted file.  (Boot to DOS in
order to view the log file.)

4. Boot into Windows's safe mode, and run Norton Disk Doctor or similar
utilities from there; also, look at Start - Control Panel - Settings -
Hardware for conflicts.

--
Regards - Michael Tabak - [log in to unmask]

                                  -----