From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 17:45:11 -0500
I do not know enough about viruses to rule that out, but
if you get a speck of dirt in your drive (or there is flaking
of the magnetic medium), then you can get progressive
degeneration as more and more of the magnetic medium
is destroyed in a plowing action.  If it is not a virus, then
the disk is probably bad and may be replaced under
warranty.

Dean Kukral