VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jill Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 13:38:04 -0400
Hi everyone,

In two days, the National Park Service will hold hearings regarding the FDR
Memorial.  Every single person who has written a letter sharing his or her
opinion has made a difference in the eventual outcome.  Thank you all so
much for taking the time to do so.

As I noted in past posts, it is important,  when composing your letter, to
specifically ask for a STATUE of FDR.  The problem we are facing now is that
some FDR Memorial Committee members are in favor of a lesser depiction of
FDR in his wheelchair -- perhaps a mural, a painting,  or a bas relief -- so
it is key that you are very clear that you would like to see a  STATUE.

If you  would like to write a letter, but have NOT yet done that, it is
essential that your e-mail reach the NPS no later than Sunday night.   You
can send e-mail.
Mail to:[log in to unmask]  *Please* cc your letters to me, as well.
Mail to:[log in to unmask]  We are trying to keep tabs on the response
as a backup.

I appreciate your advocacy on this, everyone. I would like to add that I
*do* recognize that all of my posts on the topic can be a bother to some.  I
will post only one more reminder  (on Sunday evening)  before Monday's
hearings, so... feel free to delete it if you are annoyed by my advocacy.
Please encourage others to keep the letters coming.

Sincerely,
Jill Jacobs

 To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.   ~Abraham
Lincoln

The hope of the world is still in dedicated minorities. The trailblazers in
human, academic, scientific, and religious freedom have always been in the
minority. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.