VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rose Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rose Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:15:52 -0400
[log in to unmask] writes:
>How might we encourage parents to sign the permission slip so that their
>blind child can learn how to use the Internet?  I suppose permission slips
>are necessary because a teacher does not have absolute control of what one
>may find on the Internet.  Beyond this week's hysteria of an
>Internet-fueled goth culture and bomb making websites is an extremely
>powerful information access tool for blind persons that opens up many
>opportunities, simplifies many reading tasks, and reduces reliance on
>personal readers.
>
>I wonder if the parents would be open to an after work meeting to see a
>demonstration of the Internet and what will be taught to the students.
>Also, it might be helpful to connect the parents with blind adults who are
>Internet users so that the parents can learn the benefits from end users
>themselves.  Please share any other ideas.  Use the mail to link to send
>private e-mail to the teacher herself.
>
>kelly
>

>mailto:[log in to unmask]
>
>Saludos!  I am about to introduce my students to the Internet.  I see 8
>students each one in a different school.  I need to have permission from
>their parents.  Can any one of you help me to convince parents.  Why a
>visually impaired student can benefit from the Internet?  My students are
>bilingual/Spanish. And what adaptive equipment do some of you use?
>'Muchas
>gracias' in advance.
>

>PS:  I do teach in Brooklyn, NYC and the students that will start using
>the Internet, one hour a week, are 12 to 16 years of age.  My goal is to
>teach students to do research and school assignments independently, and to
>encourage them to find information about recreation, subway safety and to
>share information with other students who are visually impaired.

I recommend that you first apply for the NYC Bd. of Ed. First Class
Nycenet BBS account for each of your students.  These accounts entitle
students to send email, plus access to the Bd. of Ed's. students' bulletin
board. These students can log on at their home if they have modems on
their home computers, or they can log on at their school libraries.  I
believe a screen enlarger (LP Windows with Speech) or a screen reader
(such as Jaws for Windows) will be helpful.

Rose