VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Visually Impaired Pittsburgh Area Computer Enthusiasts! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 21:48:59 -0500
From: Cindy <[log in to unmask]>

Here are the VIPACE, that is, the Visually Impaired Pittsburgh Area
Computer Enthusiasts, meeting minutes from Friday, 12-04-98.
About fourteen people were in attendance.

Old Business:

1. If you have not done so, please let Cindy Paoletti know if you will
be attending our annual VIPACE holiday party, which is set for this
Saturday 12-12-98, and your meal and dessert choices.
You can reach Cindy by phone, (412) 682-0953, or send email to her at

2. Treasurer's report for 1998.

The end of the year balance from 1997 was $145.25, and dues paid for
1998 were $150, giving a total of $294.25.

Expenses for 1998 were: $15 dues for membership of the Consumer
Provider Counsel; $5 for gratuity; $21 for bakery; and $40 for pizza,
leaving VIPACE with a net balance of $213.25.

New Business:

1. The talking color analyzer, and the talking bar code reader are now
available on a 30 day loan period through Pennsylvania's Initiative on
Assistive Technology (PIAT).
To contact the Pittsburgh PIAT representative, phone (412) 371-7700
and ask to speak with Kevin Hue.

2. Sound Computing is a magazine for blind computer users to learn
about computers, adaptive technology, and to share informative tips.
The audio cassette edition costs $22, and the web-based Real audio
edition costs $19.

Agenda:

Guest speaker Bill Didycz from the Pittsburgh Area Computer Club
(PACC) gave an overview of his organization. Bill discussed
features of the VIA Voice-Speech Recognition Program by IBM, which
allows one to input information to the computer, and control computer
programs with one's own voice.

The following information regarding the Pittsburgh Area Computer Club is
taken from their web page at http://trfn.clpgh.org/pacc/visit.html

Note: registration begins at 11:45 a.m. and activities wrap up about
4:00 p.m.

The Pittsburgh Area Computer Club (PACC) meets at Point Park College
at the corner of Wood St. and the Blvd. of the Allies in downtown
Pittsburgh, the second Sunday of every month. Our purpose is to
enhance the understanding and enjoyment of personal computers. Doors
open at 10:30 AM and close at 4:30 PM. There are Question and Answer
periods, Special Interest Group Meetings, Workshops, Training
Sessions, and New Product Demonstrations by software manufacturer
representatives. We offer learning opportunities for all levels of
computer users. There is something for everyone, from the beginner to
the most skilled user. Our meetings are open to the public, and we
encourage visitors to attend.

For further information, about ViaVoice 98 - Product Highlights, and
other postings from PACC, connect to their web site at
http://trfn.clpgh.org/pacc/visit.html

Here's wishing everyone a Happy Holiday Season from VIPACE! We look
forward to seeing you at the Holiday Party, and at future Vip
meetings in the new year, 1999.

-Jim

JV/CSP