VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dane Trethowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:01:52 +1000
Here's a message that I received about the Microsoft Speech software, yes
the full suite does contain voice recognition software.

Cheers

Hi all. I've gotten a few messages for folks wanting the ms speech engine.
IT's a rather big file, about 42 megs, but the speech quality you will get
is well worth it. Here's how to get it. Go to ftp.research.microsoft.com.
Change to pub, then to srg. The file you want is sapi4sdksuite.exe. It will
take some time to download, so you can go have dinner or something while
it's doing this. Once this is done, run the program to install it. It comes
with a bunch of stuff, and the speech engine is part of it. If you want to
use the kurzweil 1000 with it, after it's installed, start up the k 1000 and
go to the settings menu, or you can use the keypad if you prefer. There are
4 voices that it comes with. There names are default mail voice, default
femail voice, Freddie, and Brutice. I prefer the femail voice myself, but
you can take your pick. If you want to use this engine with other programs,
they must be sapi complient.

At 15:33 17/08/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Are there any voice command programs among the software? If so, I would
>like to Download it and try it. What is the URL and are there any documents
>or FAQ sites or text files that I might read to learn more about what is
>being offered?
>
>Joshua
>
>At 07:19 AM 8/18/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>I downloaded the Microsoft Speech Engine and it comes with a whole suite of
>>dictation software but as yet I haven't played with this, I can give you
>>the url if interested but be warned the whole suite of software is 42 meg
>>long so it will take quite a few hours to download.
>
>"Joshua L." <[log in to unmask]>

Dane Trethowan
P.O. Box 244
MALVERN VI  Australia   3144