VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 08:44:41 -0700
> "Joshua L." <[log in to unmask]>Good tip, but there are several ways to change focus, from the
keyboard, and some of them are more convenient than others.  If I may
expand on what you sent...

1.  Type ctrl+esc esc. Or if you have the Windows Keyboard, hit the
windows key then esc.  This puts the focus on the start button.  From
here you can tab to the task bar and using the arrow keys find any active
application or object and bring it to the fore by hitting enter.  From
the start button, it you tab twice, or hit shift+tab, the focus moves to
the desk top.  From here you can launch a new application by finding its
icon with the arrow keys and hitting enter, or by typing the first letter
of the item you want.  For instance if you type the letter i  the focus
moves to the inbox icon, then hitting enter opens it.  Sometimes when you
move the focus to the desktop, active applications are in the way.  In
this situation, you must minimize all apps so you can "see" the desktop.
 In JFW typing ins+F6 accomplishes this.

2.  If you have no need to select a new application or object, you can
easily cycle through all the open items by typing alt+shift+tab.  This
brings each object to the for and puts the focus on it in turn.

3.  There are a number of ways to move the focus with a mouse pointer
from the keyboard if your screen reader supports that, but they are all
inefficient in my opinion.

Bill