Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:59:10 -0700
At 10:08 PM 11/1/98 , you wrote:
>I have a 133 that I would like to replace the motherboard by buying
>mail order.  Is this a good deal?   If not, could someone recommend a
>good motherboard/cpu for under 300 and a reliable mail order place to
>get it from.
>
>Sale - Shuttle HOT 591 w/AMD  K6 II 300 CPU - $249.00

If you check on Price Watch:  http://www.pricewatch.com./
you will find that the motherboard can be purchased for about $75
and the CPU for $90, a combined cost of $165.

My only concern would be that you understand that this is a
socket7 motherboard, (a standard pentium board with the addition
of an AGP slot for the video card).   You are not accomplishing as
much as you realize with this upgrade.   It is much like the period
when the industry was moving into Pentium motherboards a few
years back.   Many companies were selling 486 motherboards that
supported 4X technology, claiming they were as fast as the new
Pentium CPUs.   But, you still had a 486 motherboard with the slower
bus speed and no more room for upgrade...

There is a huge difference in system speed from a SLOT ONE board
with a 300mhz processor and a SOCKET7 motherboard with a 300mhz
processor.   It is in the manner data flows through the board.

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES