Constance Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:00:56 -0700
> >Please help.  I have a 28.8 US Robtics Sportster Vi external modem with a
> >manual
> >and driver.  My computer dectects it as a standard modem.  It fails to
> >initiate a call.
> >All one can hear is one click as it attempts to initiate a call.  I notice
> >that only the AA
> >indicator is on.

Whoever you are,

You should delete the standard modem and have the computer re-detect.
This time choose to install the driver from the manufacture. then have
the computer look for the disk you got with the modem.  This should get
your modem with the correct driver.

On the other hand, although windows detects it as standard modem, it
still should work with standard modem.  If the modem still doesn't work
after you uses the manufacture's driver.  You might want to check out
your system and see if there is any conflict internally.  Or take the
modem to another computer with good COM port to try out.

good luck,
Constance

                                  -----