From:
Caryl Wattman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:46:28 EST
I don't know whether I'm going to do this or not, but I did think of buying a
one-burner camp stove and a Coleman lantern for my inner city apartment --
plus make lots of jerky, pemmican, and dried fruit and veggies.  Another good
idea would be a lot of water.  With a camp stove I could cook veggies.  Also,
if the problems lasted only a few days, frozen meat would gradually thaw and
then last for a few more days.  And, here in Minnesota, it will be winter, so
keeping a lot of meat frozen in the trunk of my car is always an option.

I wish there were some assessment of the severity of the problem that I could
trust.  Banks, I read, are assuring everyone there's no problem that won't be
fixed in time -- but it's PR.  But survivalists and militia groups and others
who say the whole country will grind to a halt for months seem to me to be
spewing PR in the other direction.

Caryl