Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:10:03 -0500
I have made what is nearly paleo and low carb Belgian waffles and they
came out just fine. However, I am looking for pointers to improve them
in a couple of ways. I bought a waffle iron and followed the recipie
for the basic waffle, which has the following ingredients: flour,
sugar, eggs, milk, oil, baking powder. I made two batches. The first
was a simple substitute to make these lower carb and more paleo - ground
up almonds for flour, stevia for sugar, cream for milk. The waffles came
out quite good. The second batch I almost completely eliminated cream
(added some just to make the mixture more liquid), added more eggs
and more stevia for sweetness. Came out just as good, if not better
(fluffier). I also poured melted ghee over them after they were done.
The next batch I'll make I will eliminate cream completely and will
add more oil (I used almond oil) to make the mixture more fluid. I
consider ghee almost paleo because it has practically nothing but
fat (which is probably extremely similar to that in human milk).
My biggest question is baking powder. There are three ingredients
in it: corn starch, bicarbonate of soda (which I assume is the same
as sodium bicarbonate), and calcium acid phosphate. I assume I can
just skip the corn starch and use baking soda, but what is the
function of the last ingredient - calcium acid phosphate? Do I need
it? How paleo is it (is is a chemical name for something really
common)? Can I use bakers yeast instead? How paleo is yeast (I know
enough about yeast infections and what they do to people and what
the connection between them and 'food' yeasts is, so please don't
comment on that).

Lastly, I have read somewhere (no idea where and no idea how credible
the source is) that baking soda contains added aluminum which the
makers are not required to disclose on the label for some reason. Is
this true?

Thanks, Ilya