From:
Jael Greenleaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 00:16:23 EDT
        Well, I just came home from a long session of gathering and paying at the
local Whole Foods Market. They will save all the beef fat (from non-
hormone/antibiotic beef) that I can carry. I have read (I think in Mary Enig's
work) that the fat from range fed cattle IS different from feed lot, though I
don't recall just how. Also, as a former farmer, I can tell you that Holstein
cattle are pituitarily quite different even from the Holsteins of a century
ago. The cattle of a century ago were not the size of Sport Utility Vehicles,
nor did they give gallons and gallons of milk for nearly two years at a go.
        Anyway, if you have a natural foods store near you that has a butcher
department, see if they will save the fat for you. I also get raw chicken
necks for the dog who just loves them.
Mac