PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loren Cordain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 16:32:01 -0600

Does anyone know of people who are researching the Native American use
of
buffalo meat and fat as part of their paleo diet?

I'm trying to find out how Native populations utilized the fat, in
particular.

 It is highly saturated and tastes chalky. When Native populations made
pemmican out of it, how did they make the fat palatable?

I talked to a researcher at North Dakota State who said the native
peoples
made their pemmican out of dried meat and berries only (no fat)

I'm looking for other sources of information, as well.

        Our research group here at Colorado State University has been
studying the lipid composition of wild game tissue (muscle, brain,
marrow, tongue, depot fat and other organs) in terms of its potential
health benefits (1,2, 3).  We believe that the types and amounts of fats
that pre-agricultural people consumed (via their consumption of wild
plants and animals only) were much different than those which are now
consumed by people in western industrialized countries.
        In regards to your specific question about pemmican, I refer you
to perhaps the most extensive review of this subject which has been
written (4).  In his classic book, The Fat of the Land, Stefansson
devotes five chapters (9. The Nature and Early History of Pemmican, 10.
The First Pemmican War, 11. The Romance of Pemmican,  12.  Pemmican in
Transition, 13. The Second Pemmican War) and more than 136 pages to
discussing all aspects of pemmican that were known as of 1960.
        Specifically, the Plains Indians made pemmican by cutting
buffalo muscle meat into thin strips and drying it in the sun.  Once
dried, the meat was then pounded into a fine powder and any remaining
pieces of sinew, tendon and/or bone were removed.  The dried meat powder
was mixed with melted fat and packed in sacks of hide.  The preferred
fat was marrow or peri-nephral fat (4), however subcutaneous storage fat
was used if marrow was limited.  The powdered muscle and fat were mixed
by weight in a ratio of roughly 50:50 which roughly yields a protein/fat
ratio of 20:80 (4).   Although such a mix at first appears to be highly
atherogenic because of its high relative fat content, our analysis of
the fatty acid composition of wild game marrow shows this not to be the
case.   Wild game marrow can contain up to 92% of its total energy as
fat, and of this fat, monounsaturated fats (16:1 and 18:1) are
predominant and typically make up 75% of all the fatty acids in marrow
(1).  Monounsaturated fats such as those found in olive oil, nuts and
avocados do not elevate serum cholesterol levels (5) and decrease the
susceptibility of LDL to oxidation (6).  Therefore, their consumption is
associated with a reduced risk of mortality from coronary artery disease
(7).  Because the types and levels of fatty acids found in marrow are
similar to those found in olive oil and most nuts, marrow likely would
also not promote elevated cholesterol or the predisposition towards
atherosclerosis and coronary artery disease.
        Stefansson reports that berries were rarely, if ever mixed in
the pemmican made by the Plains Indians (4).